Blog Archive

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Past 15 Months

Warm up
It has been awhile since my last post. Almost two months have gone by. It has been a wacky few months since my last surgery in August. I have struggled with my exercise routine but with the support of some great friends have tried to keep at it. Through all of this I even had some personal bests. The highlights are below.

Main Set
My last surgery was on 11-11-11. This was my 4th surgery in 15 months. Here are the highlights of the past 15 months:
Surgery 1 - 8/25/10. 3 hours in length starting at 11pm. 8 day hospital stay. Left with a temporary colostomy.
Surgery 2 – 12/23/10. 3.5 hours in length. 7 day hospital stay. Home for 3 days. Back to ER New Years Eve. Diagnoised with c. diff. An additional 2 day hospital stay.
Hurt Hip about 10 days prior to surgery #3. I thought I just twisted it – which I did. But x-rays showed the plastic part that holds my hip joint, had worn out and needed replaced. Oh in case you didn’t know, I had a double hip replacement 14 years ago. More on this later.
4 days prior to surgery #3, played golf - 36 holes in a day. Because of the bad hip, I could barely walk but shot an 85-82 on a pretty tough course. In fact it was my best two rounds on this great Pete Dye course.
Surgery 3 – 8/26/11. 4 hours in length. 3 day hospital stay. Home for 1 day. Back to ER with obstructed bowel. Treated with an NG tube and rest – another 5 days in hospital.
I was able to continue to swim with some weeks off after surgeries. I even cracked the 3000yd barrier a few weeks ago. It had been over a year since I had hit that mark.
Bike riding with my swim group really helped in my recovery, weight loss and physical/mental stability. It took forever for me to get into descent bike shape, but by August, I was pleased by my progress.
I played golf once after surgery #3. I hadn’t touched my clubs for 8 weeks and had an all-time best 71 (-1) at Cobblestone GC. I played with two great friends who were able to witness my round. It was a true Caddyshack experience.
On 11-11-11, I had my 4th surgery to replace a part in my left hip.  When they got in there what we all thought was muscular pain from my hip was actually a fracture in the femur around my implant. My surgeon was happy with the results of the surgery. He had to do some bone grafting around the implant and was successful in replacing my worn out part. The down side is I have to keep the weight off my hip for six weeks. So I will be on crutches for 6 weeks then on to a more normal rehab.

Cool Down
My running joke is that I am the healthiest sick person I know. Not only has it been a long year for me, but it has been a long year for my wife and family. But they are the unsung heroes who have cared for me and have supported me through all of this. I couldn’t have made it this far without their help. I am looking forward to 2012. I am looking forward in getting back in the pool. I am looking forward to hopping on my bike next spring. I am looking forward to my first round of golf next year. But before all that happens, I am looking forward to Thanksgiving. We are hosting our extended family which means I get to do two of my favorite things: Love on my family and COOK!
Family tradition dictates two things prior to us eating our wonderful meal. We sing “Great is they Faithfulness” and my dad prays. If you are unfamiliar with this song, I have shared the words below. With all I have gone through, there are so many others who are suffering and have even greater trials ahead of them. For those, my heart aches for them. But as these words have provided me and my family comfort over the years, I trust they will provide hope and strength to those who are battling for their lives. Jeremiah 29:11 states, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
Great is Thy Faithulness
Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.
Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

No comments:

Post a Comment