Blog Archive

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Trials Begin - Show up

Warmup
Phat was 90's hip-hop slang, meaning "Pretty, Hot, and Tempting". Well if you ever saw me at the pool, or on a walk, or on a bike, I am VERY far from "Pretty, Hot and Tempting." When I exercise, I am more like "pretty hot" and "attempting". If you happened to hear this blog title, it is accurate - and I am okay with that. So in my ongoing attempt to exercise regulary, I will share my experiences which may bring out heart tugging emotions, drama, exhilaration and even some tears. And you, as the readers, may even be impacted.

Main Set
Last August I had emergency surgery with another surgery 4-months later. It was great to have my family and friends at my side. Unfortunately my recovery prohibited me from swimming, my exercise of choice, during this time.  I did my best to stay connected with my Master's Swim group. We swim three mornings a week starting at 5:30am. I am pretty sure they thought I was crazy for showing up for the practices when I wasn't even able to swim. I stayed involved by writing the workouts and offering encouragement and suggestions during practice. Having this group was tremendously helpful in my recovery. I felt I had a purpose and was able to stay connect with my friends.

Cool Down
We are all busy. We are all TIRED. Life can get in the way of healthy habits. Participation in a group can help you stay motivated and keep you accountable. Find others to walk with and make it a weekly habit. Bike around the neighborhood with family or friends. I often hear, "I didn't want to show up this morning, but I knew you would be here." It doesn't matter if you are fast or slow, just show up. When you show up, you reap the benefits along with encouraging others!

3 comments:

  1. I like it...great job...you are the PHAT's guy I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Normal guy in an abnormal world", eh? Then I would think that would make you a perfect person for this type of blog. Motivation to get moving for the normal person. Great first post, Judd!
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, Judd! Thanks for the encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete