Blog Archive

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I have to be the greatest person in the world

Warm up
June 13, 2007. I have no idea what I was thinking. Somehow Rose F convinced me to show up to try a Master's swim program at the Y. Our kids were all swimming together. Her and a few other swim parents were trying out the swim thing. I have no idea why I said yes, but I am glad I did.
I was looking for an old email today and stumbled across this string of emails. I sent these the day after my first swim. Maybe you can relate to my journey.
Main Set
To: Tom H and Rose F
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 9:10 AM
Subject: RE: Masters swimming
Rose, thank you for your encouragement on the phone and to both Rose and Tom, thanks for showing me the ropes last night at the pool.
I truly believe to be a great person you need to learn humility. Right now, I have to be the greatest person in the world. Haha.
Last night was really a stretch for me, but I did enjoy the night. And I will be back on Saturday.
If I am good for anything, I am good for some humorous observations:
1. Tom said, "The biggest mistake people will do in our program is swim too fast at first. Just find a nice pace and the speed will come." Did ya see me swim? What is slower than SLOW? At one point in practice, I was frantically kicking with board and I think I was actually going backward.
2. I had WAY too much going on in my head. I was concentrating so hard on my stroke technique I continued to forget to breath, which I later found out is a key element in surviving a swim practice. I would take 5 strokes and then couldn't figure out why my lungs were burning. Oh yeah that breathing thing! So by the time I "tried" to breath, I usually drank.
3. Ben asked, "Did you wear a drag suit?" I relied, "I AM a drag suit."
4. Overall it was a good feeling. I miss the old days where you feel the "burn" of great exercise. I just didn't realize I would feel the burn so quickly - like jumping into the pool.
On a serious note, I was impressed with both of you. Your work ethic and your joy for the sport were evident. That really encouraged me. I will do everything in my power to commit to this program for at least a year. If I can do that, I believe I will stay with it longer. I am not sure I will be at either of your levels within the year, but I do know I will be healthier and in better shape. Of course now when people ask what type of shape I am in, I usually respond "ROUND". Being in the swim program, I am now shooting for "Oval".
Have a great day and thanks for your encouragement. I will see you both on Saturday.
J
---------------------------------
To: Tom H and Rose F
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 9:44 AM
Subject: RE: Masters swimming
And I did forget the most important lesson from last night. I found a new respect for my boys. I have always known how hard they work each practice, but experiencing it in a small manner showed me just how hard they do work. I actually wanted to hug them when I got home, but I couldn't raise my arms.
J
----------------------------------------------
To: Ben and EJ (original was sent only to Ben as he was the only one with email. I did modify my note to include EJ as it pertains to him as well)
Date: Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 10:16 AM
Subject: Masters swimming
Ben and EJ,
I really do have a new found respect in what you have accomplished during your swimming years. You and EJ are truly amazing at what you do. Last night was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I am embarrassed how heavy I am, I don't like seeing me in a swimsuit and I really don't want anyone else to see me. So I had to swallow a lot of pride by swimming last night.
I am never going to be as svelte as either of you but if I stick with it, I will definitely be in better shape - which will be really good for me. I did enjoy the night - even through the embarrassment. But I had good support there and that helped.
You are amazing young men. I know I don't tell you that enough. I couldn't be prouder of you both. I love you.
Dad

Cool Down
That was 4 years ago and I know it may not look like it  but I am still swimming. I love the sport. I have studied the sport. I help organize our Master's swim program. At times I help coach the High school group. And all this started with encouragement from a few friends. Oh sure, I have struggled during these 4 years with a myriad of problems, but I have kept at it.
You know all those excuses you use not to exercise? Stop using them and do something about it NOW. Seriously, if I can put on a jammer (think tight bike shorts - okay I said THINK not picture it) and jump in a pool at 5:30a three times a week, couldn't you go for a walk, ride a bike or even give swimming a shot?
And if someone doesn't call you to join them in an activity, why don't you be the one to make the call. You will never know how that one call can change their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment